Norman E. Davis Sr. – District I
Mr. Norman E. Davis, Sr. was elected as Waycross City Commissioner for District I in 2006. Since his election, he has worked diligently to perform the duties and responsibilities of this office as well as take the opportunity to make a difference in the quality of life for all the residents of Waycross. Commissioner Davis is a native of Waycross. He is married with three children and is a member of St. Paul Baptist Church. He is a 1959 graduate of Center High School. He received a Bachelor of Science Degree in Commercial Industries from Tuskegee University. While pursuing his Master’s Degree in City, County, State, and Federal Government Management, he was elected to serve the Macon County School Board of Education. He was instrumental in reorganizing the county school system and building the community’s first consolidated Macon County High School.
Commissioner Davis has served as a 30 year planner for City, County, State (Macon County) Program Monitor Projects Investigator and Auditor for City, County, and State Educational Projects. He has also served as the Supervisor-Human Service Planner III for Children’s Trust Fund; Director of Community Development; Director of Community Planning and Economic Development Adjustment; Instructor/Resource Development, Tuskegee Model City Human Resources Developer, City Department Head of Recreation and Youth Services; Director of Fatherhood Initiative Program (AFIP); Director of the Young Volunteers and Action Program; Director of Migrant Worker Program; President and CEO of a Small Business, and other capacities in city, county, and state government. In addition, he planned, developed, and obtained funds for implementation of the city’s Head Start Program.
Through the years, Commissioner Davis has had numerous professional affiliations with organizations such as Tuskegee Jaycees; Tuskegee County Youth Council; Macon County Retardation and Rehabilitation Board; Omega Phi Fraternity; F&E Mason’s; and the Shriner’s (32nd Degree). In addition, he was an appointed member of the Southeast Georgia Regional Development Center’s Board of Directors – representing Ware County.
Commissioner Davis has numerous Professional Distinctions which include: Performance and contribution recognitions from Personalities of the South and Who’s Who in America and was named Legionnaire of the Year. In addition, he was given the State Mental Health Service Award; City of Tuskegee Outstanding Achievement Award; Joint House and Senate Resolutions Recognition for Outstanding Service to Youth; Jaycees Scotsman and Outstanding Business Award; and the Pro Plan International Outstanding Achievement Award. Commissioner Davis was also given a letter of recognition from former President Ronald Regan for the Young People’s Volunteer Training Program.
City Commission Certificates of Achievements and Certifications:
- Georgia Municipal Association (GMA) National League of Cities, University of Georgia and Georgia Municipal Association/Certificate of Achievement for Elected Officials/June 24, 2008.
- Georgia Academy for Economic Development, Regional Economic and Leadership Development/May 2008.
- University of Georgia and GMA, Robert E. Knox Jr., Municipal Leadership Institute, Leadership Certificate/July 2007.
- Certificate of Achievement, National League of Cities, Recipient of Silver Certificate, Leadership Executive Level/November 2011.
- National League of Cities, Certificate of Achievement in Leadership Excellence, Bronze Certificate, Leadership Fellow/2011.
- National League of Cities, Silver Certificate of Achievement in Leadership Excellence, Leadership Executive/2011.
- University of Georgia and Georgia Municipal Association, Harold D. Holtz Municipal Training Institute for Elected Officials, Awarded Certificate of Excellence/January 2011.
- Appointed Member, Southeast Georgia Regional Development Center’s Board of Directors representing Ware County/January 2007.
- University of Georgia and Georgia Municipal Association, Completed Harold F. Holtz Municipal Training Institute for Elected Officials, Awarded Certificate/June 2007.
- Awarded Certificate in Recognition of Outstanding Professional Achievement, Superior Leadership Ability, and Exceptional Service to the Community, Black History Month/2007.
- Universal Protection Service, Employee of the Month Certificate in Honor of Outstanding Performance/January 2014.
- Certificate of Completion, Allegiance Security Group Training Program/November 2011.
- Leadership Training Institute, Completed Performance Reporting: Being Accountable to Your Constituents, City Conference, Washington, D.C. /March 2007.
- Law Enforcement Seminars, Certification in Community Policing, Waycross, GA/March 2008.
- Certification in Ethics by State Ethics Commission of Georgia/October 2006.
- Land Bank Workshop 101, Mercer University Center/September 2011.
- National League of Cities, Leadership Training institute, Certificate in Building Accountability and Commitment/March 2011.
- National League of Cities, Leadership Training Institute, Agenda to a Successful Completion, Certificate, Washington, D.C. /March 2011.
- National Incident Management System, Certificate/NIMS-Executive Briefing (IS402), April 2008.
- Leadership Training Institute, Certificate/Policy Leadership for Mayors and Council Members, Washington, D.C. /2008.
- Leadership Training Institute, Certificate/Effective Community Collaboration and Creative Problem Solving, Washington, D.C. /2008.
- Leadership Training Institute, Certificate/Policy Leadership for Mayors and Council Members, Washington, D.C. 2008
- Association of Government Accountants, Certificate of Achievement in Service Efforts and Accomplishments Reporting, 2006.
- Certificate of Completion, Citizens Police Academy, Waycross Police Department, 2007.
- National League of Cities, Certificate/Citywide Gang Violence Reduction Strategy.
- Certificate of Participation, School Supplies Distribution, American Legion Post/2014-15.
- Georgia Public Safety Training Center, Incident Command System/Overview for Elected Officials/Senior Executives in Georgia.
- Fanning Institute, Georgia Municipal Association, Certificate of Completion, Downtown Development Authority Basic Training, Tifton, Georgia/2012.